Finding the right study strategies is all about understanding what helps you focus and what totally distracts you from your work. This includes factors such as time, place, environment, and the length of time you dedicate to your task.
Here is a brief outline of my personal study style:
- I prefer to work in a quiet environment (such as the library), and tend to be distracted by noise and movement. Starbucks is not my ideal study hangout, though with the right headphones I can make it work.
- I tend to focus better with a desk or table, as opposed to sitting on a couch or the floor. There are exceptions, though.
- I don't often look forward to studying, so I allow myself the pleasure of listening to music. However, I stick to chill, ambient music that doesn't take up too much of my attention.
- I must take frequent, short breaks. I can typically focus on an assignment for 15-20 minutes before needing to stretch or walk around.* When I hit a wall with an assignment, I'll take 5 minutes to do something that helps me release tension and take my mind off of what I am working on, whether it's getting some water, taking a washroom break, or browsing books in the library. For me, a break does not include checking Facebook, my email, or Twitter, because these typically overload my brain with even more information, and I feel just as overwhelmed when I return to my work.
Knowing what works for me and what doesn't allows me to easily find a rhythm in my studying. I can put myself in situations where I can focus better and the avoid distractions that make my productivity faceplant.
Here are some questions to help you figure out what your study style looks like:
- What time of the day do you feel most productive?
- Where do you like to be when you're working on a project? What environments help you focus?
- Can you handle being around people when you're working, or do you need to be alone?
- What sounds help you be focused, if any? Do you like to listen to music or ambient effects (eg. rainfall)? Do you prefer silence? White noise?
- What are some things you can't stand when you're working? (Avoid those things, if possible.)
- How often do you need a break when you're working? What things help you get rid of tension and stress?
It's okay to get creative with your studying, as long as you stay focused and end up being productive (then reward yourself with a well-earned break!). For example, if you are having a tough time getting through a particular section of reading, try reading out loud. Read with a friend who is doing the same chapter. There might even be audiobooks available for you to follow along with your textbooks.** If you are writing a paper or a report and are having trouble getting started, try freewriting*** about that topic to see where your ideas take you, or making a mindmap to see how your ideas connect. Whatever helps your get inspired or move forward with your studying can turn into a strategy for you to use over and over again.
Above all, be dedicated. Great quality work doesn't happen overnight or by itself - but if you put in the time, you can absolutely become a study nerd. Go forth!
Have you figured out what your study style looks like? Share in the comments!
*For more reading on how breaks help improve productivity, see this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/
**This idea is from the following video, which includes more fun study strategies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fBpkvMoxz0
***Freewriting is a brainstorming technique in which one writes without much thought and with no editing whatsoever. You essentially pick a topic and write what comes to you, even if it means writing the same words over and over again. Eventually, you may find a nugget of gold, an interesting idea, that can be used in a paper or report (or whatever you are using this technique for). This is great for getting started on an assignment that you're dreading, because freewriting is so easy; yet it is effective at getting your thoughts going on a certain topic.
No comments:
Post a Comment